Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sleepy Saturdays

Ever since I was a kid, Saturday mornings meant sleeping in, Saved by the Bell, and maybe some yard work for my Dad. Saturdays, I still believe, are meant for relaxation and selfish purposes. I don't expect my beliefs to ever change. However, I'm trying to start a local running group in town, and the best day for everyone is Saturday. Because it's been so miserably hot and humid all summer, we've been trying to meet between 7:00 and 7:30 am. Ugh.

Who would seriously want to leave this adorable creature?
Throughout the week, I get up way before 7:00 to work out and take care of my domestic responsibilities before I go to work: watering the garden, feeding the chickens, walking my dog, and maybe--if I feel nurturing--preparing breakfast for my husband. But, on Saturdays? No way. I'm almost always a few minutes late meeting the group. There's something about sleeping in, even though my husband snores and takes up half of the bed and my chihuahua/pug magically manages to fill 1/4 of the half remaining space; there's not much room, but it goes against my nature (or conditioning?) to want to get out of bed and put my running clothes on.
                                                    

But I do. As I brush my teeth, I wonder if I can skip out on the group. Trust me, every Saturday I struggle with my commitment to running; even as I'm walking to our meeting place, I think to myself, "Maybe I won't do my scheduled run--maybe just half." Today, as with every Saturday, I completed my scheduled distance. I ran with a friend of mine who I don't see often enough, and thanks to our conversation during the 4-mile run (her first!), I got the idea for this post.

Listen: running's difficult, painful, exhausting, and time consuming. I've been running consistently for nearly nine months, and every mile is still hard to get through. So, why do I do it? Why do I keep getting out of my crowded bed on Saturday mornings and three other mornings throughout the week? Why, oh why is running more rewarding than sleeping in?

My WW Picture
  • The Leg Muscles: I'm not one to brag on how I look. I've got a long way to go until I'm satisfied with my physical appearance. But, the other day I submitted a photo of myself to a Weight Watchers Challenge. I'm pretty sure it's my first self portrait, but the prize is $5,000, so I did it. When I looked at the picture, I realized I didn't recognize my legs. I mean, they are no longer shapeless; they look strong. They're not the legs I've grown up with, and I can thank running for that.
  • Pretty soon, I'm going to have to stuff my bras. Enough said.
  • I've lost 57.6 pounds.
  • I do most of my runs outside, so I always have some sun on my face.
  • On the days I run and workout, I eat healthier. I hate the idea of undoing hard work, so I tend to consume food for fuel instead of enjoyment when I run in the mornings. I've noticed on days that I don't work out before my days begin, I eat more, and the chances of eating junk food increases. Now, there are days that I know I'm going to eat more than usual, so I run in hopes of creating a balance; those days, however, happen only every now and then.
  • Because I'm training for a half marathon (next month!), I realize now, more than ever, that nutrition is essential, which means I've been preparing meals at least three times a day. And, since I don't have a dishwasher, I feel like I'm washing dishes constantly. In fact, I only wash them just so I can make another mess. My husband has one word for me: poof! But hey, a mess in the kitchen means I'm becoming one mean, creative cook.
  • There's a pretty awesome community between runners, and it's awesome if you can find it. Just last week, I talked with a woman who ran the Boston Marathon. She gave me some incredible advice, and we spoke candidly about the pains connected to running (think chafing, admitting numbers, and underwear). What amazed me was how supportive she was. I mean, I was sitting across from a human being who ran 26.2 miles! That's incredible and, right now, unimaginable to me. Regardless of her accomplishment, she was congratulating me for doing a measly 10 miles. A former professor-turned-friend has done quite a few marathons, and he too is full of encouragement and positivity. Which leads me to another point:
  • Amazingly, I have yet to encounter any judgment amongst runners. I'm still about 30 pounds overweight, my pace is slow, and yet I have marathon runners believing in me. There's something about running that brings out the best in people, regardless of the worst. It's got to be the endorphins that are released, but I think it has something to do with the accomplishment. Running isn't simply about finishing the miles; it's about beginning those miles, and then finding the mental, emotional, and physical strength to keep going. What kind of person would judge someone who's made the decision to stay on his or her feet for an extended amount of time? A monster.
  • Before last December, I had tried losing weight since third grade. I've done kickboxing, Tae Bo, the elliptical, cycling, P90X, walking--I've tried it all. But not until I got myself on a running plan did I start making changes, and slowly my changes turned into habits. Simply, running has given my life structure. And I love it. 
So, it's a little after 10:00 am. I ran 4 miles this morning, spent time with friends, have had breakfast, and I'm now completing this post. Thanks to my running regimen, I'm living fuller days, and I wouldn't trade them for anything--not even sleepy Saturday mornings.


No comments:

Post a Comment