Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mere Ounces Equal a Wipe Out

 
So, here it is; the venting blog post.

I'm frustrated and need an outlet because I worked my butt of this week, but obviously not literally. Weight Watchers members earn points for all the activity they do throughout the week; I earned 80 activity points for the entire week (a good amount), and I still had 70 left at the close of my week (meaning I ate a little more than my daily allowance). I ate more carrots and broccoli than I have in the past few months, I've cut down on cheese, and I've been drinking a gallon of water a day. I've added new physical activities (hello, yoga). I've even been getting more sleep.

I've made positive changes, people.

And I gained .6 lbs this week. A. GAIN.

Since summer started, I haven't had consistent weight loss. According to WW, successful weight loss means an average loss over a certain amount of time, not a loss every week. But still, really? I feel like every other week is a loss, then a gain. I know, it's not even a full pound, but I made an effort this week!

Could my gain be attributed the 1/4 cup of frozen yogurt I had (twice) this week? It's only 1 point. Could it be my peanut butter intake? I'm so confused--if I had to confess any missteps, those would be them.

My fear is that my body is done losing weight, which could cause a huge problem because I HAVE NOT ARRIVED AT MY DESTINATION. I'm not yelling at you, readers, but my body. I can't be done yet. I have so much left to accomplish.

After weighing myself this morning, I didn't cry (one way I've already changed). Admittedly, I cussed and then hopped in the shower. I realized I felt ready to fight, instead of breaking into the frozen yogurt at 8:00 in the morning (another way I've changed). I wanted to fight myself, to fight my fat cells, to push my physical limits. Even though I've added activity, maybe something's just not working anymore.

Here's my game plan for the week:

- Run, cycle, yoga. I despise yoga, but I gave it a chance last week. The instructor wasn't annoying, and I felt stretched and relaxed afterward. I'll give it another chance.

- Cut down on my peanut butter consumption. Oh, how I love peanut butter. And, I have it in my head that because I don't eat meat or chicken, I need peanut butter for protein. I never go over a serving a day (I split up the serving throughout my meals), but maybe that's too much. I'll cut back this week, but peanut butter and I will never part.

- The frozen yogurt needs to go. Hopefully, the craving will go away as the cool weather settles in. I wish I could be one of those people who just doesn't need something sweet, but I'm not. I thought, though, if I portioned and tracked, that half a serving wouldn't do me in. We'll see.

- I'll keep measuring and weighing my food.

There. That's my plan.

And, even with the (slight) weight gain, I'm triumphant. I mean, look at my reaction: I'm angry, and I've taken that anger, identified the source, made a plan to overcome it, and now I'm acting on it. The old me--the me before WW--would've taken a day, or two, off of tracking to feed my disappointment with pizza, chocolate, and ice cream. Then, I would've hated myself on some level. Instead, tonight you'll find me at the gym, cycling and hitting the yoga mat.
I suppose I can draw a parallel between losing weight and my surfing experience: both are physically and mentally tough; both involve extreme patience; both knock you down, literally and figuratively. Finding the balance to ride the wave and lose the weight is an incredible challenge, and as frustrating as the journey may be, it's totally worth the work, the wipe outs, and the small gains.

So, I'll keep paddling.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment