Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"Don't Stop Believing" in Magic (Pardon my nerdiness)

I've noticed the last few weeks that I've been using the word "magic" to describe the events of my life: there's magic happening in the classes I'm teaching, yoga is magic, the points system for WW seems to be magic--it seems to be my word of choice lately. So, like the nerdy English major that I am, I turned to the Oxford English Dictionary for the definition of magic. Look what I found:

Magic, adj, 2a: "Producing surprising or remarkable results, like those attributed to magic (freq. in magic touch); effecting or permitting change, success, etc., as if by magic. Also: enchanting, delightful."

Effecting or permitting change as if by magic.

Now, I know there is science behind WW, and I understand how and why it works. Likewise, I know what's happening in my classroom is a combination of how I created the courses and my students' willingness to learn. So, why am I stuck on the word? Maybe, because I am in control of my life, but all of these other elements have to work together for life to be enjoyable: I can't make my students like class, and I can't make my body perform do whatever it does to lose weight. Sure, I can pick cool readings and assignments for my students, and of course I exercise regularly and eat healthy. But when it comes down to it, I have to have faith in the process. My effort, faith in the process, and getting the desired results = magic to me.

So, this is where the "Don't Stop Believing" half of my title comes in. I've become absolutely obsessed with Glee. The last episode of season one features a medley of Journey songs. No joke: for the last 3 weeks, I've been singing "Don't Stop Believing" every day, all day. It's stuck in my head.

Two days ago, after I just finished telling a friend that magic was happening in my class, I listened to the Glee version of "Don't Stop Believing." I was on the treadmill, completing my last mile of a tempo run when the song came on, and I started sprinting. I envisioned crossing the finish line of my first half marathon with my sister, and I got chills.

See? Magic. Changes are happening in my life that create balance, peace, happiness, and just enough struggle.

The Journey song is, after all, about living life--not just watching it happen to other people: Living just to find emotion.

What is a day without feeling any emotion: happiness, frustration, anger, accomplishment . . . any emotion at all? I've become much more attuned to my emotions since I've been physically active and eating healthy; I can identify what I'm feeling and why--that's pretty powerful.

"Katie, why are you going for your 3rd 3 Musketeers?"
"Because . . . I've watched 3 episodes of The X-Files while grading quizzes."
"Katie, turn of the TV, get off the couch, and go for a walk."

Conversations like that prior to my weight loss journey were nonexistent. Do I always listen to that voice? Of course not. But it's there, and I acknowledge it.

I'll finish with one last thought. I've been asked why I want to run so far, why I want to lose weight, why I've quit drinking. Thanks to "Don't Stop Believing," I can now articulate the answer:

Working hard to get my fill,
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin' anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time.

I don't want to ever get to the point in my life where I'd pay anything to go back. I want to start living now, every day, with no chance of regret in the future. If that means giving up a beer on Friday nights because I have to run in the morning, so be it. Because you know what? To me, nothing feels better than the magic that happens when I'm physically, emotionally, and mentally balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment